Skip to main content

8. Polishing and Rehearsing

Viv has left us for the Plains of Africa (with her Robert Redford!) so I will be finishing up the Blog myself :)

The last week has been hectic and a little tense, in a good way. We have been using every minute available to finish their adze stories and their logos so that we have something to present at our final presentation and to put up in our room. They have been awesome at helping each other either with their story completion or colouring in.

There has been a lot of 'counting down' the days, hours and lessons, by myself, so that the pressure has been subtle but present. As you would in the real world when you have a deadline to meet. Things like: "Mr Mana is coming on Wednesday...do you know your story? What if he asks you? Is your personal freeze frame telling your part of the tale? Check each other and give each other advice".

The general excitement has been palpable. We have stopped often to reflect on the identity element across the learning. I have felt freer to do this and without the guilt of stealing their learning. Guiding them to the connections, when they can't see them, is part of the teaching.

I asked each of them to create a six-word poem about the identity of their FF. Then we took one word from each kids poem to make the groups poem. They enjoyed this and we asked which words were the most expressive and why.


With some of the children away, it was difficult at times to get the groups' work done. I was roaming everywhere and giving tips, pointers and guidance wherever I could. So much questioning! I feel that my questioning has improved immensely due to this process.

We moved to the hall for the last two lessons on Monday and Tuesday. There we decided on the:
  • Order of the stories and why.
  • The words our host would use.
  • The timing of each FF.
  • The positioning of the children in the room.
  • The route the guests would take.
  • The mechanics of standing up from sitting, getting into and holding the FF and sitting back down again.
  • The optimum environment for the presentation, visually and audibly, i.e. how they should be sitting and in perfect silence.
All of these decisions were made by the children. I presented options and always spoke with a tone of curiosity. Then they practised while I tied up the loose ends like:

  • giving guidance to my presenter/host for her part (where to stand, what the guests should do etc)
  • helping the narrators of each FF to tell their stories rather than describe their FF's
  • looking for those who were bored and giving them something to do (check each others' FF and give advice etc)
We're nearly there! Such hard work and commitment from the kids. Yes, lots of mucking about but...they're kids?! I remember being in Viv's class and mucking about loads too! So, just keep an eye on them and let go a little...trust!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5. Writing and researching

It's now week five and the formal commission is underway... Miguel, can you describe how the class responded to the VOKI presentation? From what you told me, it sounds like it was a rich opportunity for aural language as they listened, inferred and questioned. I also liked what you said about holding back from directing the children and instead asking "how do you think the information should be presented to the client?" I think you found the children came up with ideas similar to what you would have planned - plus some other 'angles' you hadn't thought of...? I'd love you to share some more on the temptations to lead and the benefits of walking alongside the learners - this sounds like a really important part of your experience... Yes! After watching the video (I spoke about 'Voki' on the last blog, see images) I asked: "so...how are we going to do this?". And then I went quiet, resisting the temptation to lead. We have time restra

1. Starting out

Welcome to our blog!  We are Miguel Garcia and Viv Aitken.  This is what we look like:                                            Miguel is a beginning teacher at Intermediate level, living the dream in New Plymouth. Viv is a lecturer, research and PLD facilitator based in Palmerston North. We're using this blog to record our planning and reflection conversations about Mantle of the Expert. We're hoping our posts will be of interest to teachers starting out in Mantle. We'd love to get comments, tips and advice from experienced teachers too - all comments welcome! We'll be sharing our ups and downs, mistakes and triumphs and hope to include contributions from children in the class as well. Viv says: What brought us to this point? Well, last year Miguel bravely embarked on his first attempt at teaching in Mantle of the Expert. He came to me, his previous lecturer, for advice and support and I was really delighted to walk alongside him through the proc

9. The presentation to Mr Jacob Mana and the Local Iwi.

On the day, we had the presentation at 2.30pm. The principal, my teaching assistant and my tutor teacher were attending as the company owner and representatives of the local Iwi respectively. I booked the hall so that we could have the morning and afternoon to rehearse. At 11am, they practised in their teams whilst I put some of their work up on the wall. There were a lot of unfinished works but I was not phased by this, we did what we could and concentrated on the hands-on stuff.  Next time I will use what I have learnt to improve the transmission of the learning into other curricular areas. (More detailed photos of their work will appear in the last blog of ONLY photos.) Then we set about the final rehearsing. Three girls from the same freeze frame were absent so we had to re-jig and get rid of one of them (5 instead of 6). Instead of me calling out the six-word poem at the beginning of each freeze frame, I split this in between the two girls with nothing to do. One of th